Annoying noise in new Q5 PHEV

24stages

Reaction score
Mom called asking for help coz she got a brand new Q5 PHEV (Dec 2023) and there's a strange whining noise from the engine whenever she accelerates on gas (not electric). It goes away when she let off the gas and happens at various speeds. She says the dealer looked at it for over a week and says it's "normal" - turbo noise they claim. Really? Sounds more like a fault to me! Anyone else with a Q5 PHEV experiencing this noise? Any advice is appreciated!

Mom called asking for help coz she got a brand new Q5 PHEV (Dec 2023) and there's a strange whining noise from the engine whenever she accelerates on gas (not electric). It goes away when she let off the gas and happens at various speeds. She says the dealer looked at it for over a week and says it's "normal" - turbo noise they claim. Really? Sounds more like a fault to me! Anyone else with a Q5 PHEV experiencing this noise? Any advice is appreciated!
That sounds like the pedestrian warning system kicking in. I've seen some owners online mention the same noise and confirm it's just a safety feature to alert pedestrians.

It is perfectly normal, EVs dont make that much noise, with that safety feature you can be reassured that pedestrians and especially you as the driver is safe from any unwanted accidents

Join the Audi Q5 PHEV Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back